Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Dear friends,

Today I'd like to introduce you to a new concept I discovered in the complicated subject of human relationship. This concept might not be new to you but I'm sure many of you can relate to this. Behold....

BFS

It stands for Best Friend Syndrome. It's when you dump your partner, and suddenly that person is your best friend in the whole world. You act as if nothing has changed between the two of you, other than the love that is now non-existent (for you at least). In fact you even carry on calling your ex by your favoured nicknames and continue talk to him/her while the wound in his/her broken heart is still shooting hot blood.

The dumpees, if infected with Sindrom Kurang Daya Tahan (perasaan), will play along and get themselves on an emotional rollercoaster until at some point they realize that the ride's gotta stop or they'll start puking their guts out (or in my case I get nasty anxiety attacks).

Lot's of things can happen when BFS hits. Some examples would be:
- trips to regular haunts, be it a favourite coffeeshop or mamak joint or shopping mall.
- calling or text msging the ex and asking his/her opinion on the current world events/latest book she/he read etc.
- doing exclusive things together, e.g. ponteng puasa and then secretly smoking in the smoking room


Some even go to the extent of talking about their feelings, their anger and resentment towards a particular person or issue. Some don't know when to stop. It's as if they now owe the ex-partner something for causing the hurt. Some think that by at least being there as a friend, they are doing the ex-partner a favor, that the ex-partner will feel better about the situation. Imagine experiencing the degradation/demotion from being lovers to being a new found best friend. Everyone could use a best friend. What a consolation!!!

Well, here's what I think of this BFS.

I think it's Bull Fucking Shit.

Ciao

3 Comments:

Blogger nadio said...

shit lan...

did you enter my mind recently to read my thoughts?

spot on bro.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Firdaus said...

Lan,

Once upon a time, ashamedly, I was a victim of BFS too. But then I took my medication GFYS - Go Fuck Yourself - and I got better....
People who pass on BFS are just selfish bro...

4:39 PM  
Blogger Ms O said...

OK, I have to say.. I'm soooo with you on this issue. It's part of the "wayang kulit" people play. And it's blardy annoying! NOt to mention degrading and insulting on our intelligence. If it's over, it's over. Period!
Cannot be best friends right after break-ups. Both parties need time to heal and assert one's own feelings towards each other and hopefully , along the way, learn to forgive each other before they can even consider becoming each other's friends. Entah la...but I agree completely that it's bulls@#*t.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home